Sunday, August 25, 2013

Lazy Sunday Afternoon Playlist

I listened to a bunch of stuff this afternoon while online and kept track of it.  Most of it was streaming audio (primarily on bandcamp), but the PSYCHIC BLOOD release was a free CDR I picked up at their recent show.  My idea was partly influenced by Shawn Abnoxious' posts on his blog ...THWART! where he lists what tracks come up on shuffle while he mows his lawn (which you should totally check out...).  Anyhow, like COOLIO once said let's "come and ride on a fantastic voyage, slide, slide, slippity-slide, with switches on the block in a '65..."

THE PLASTIC INEVITABLES - Loon

**This album was entirely "fan-funded".  It was engineered, produced, mixed, and mastered by Chad Wahlbrink.  The band did co-produce it, though.**

"desdemona" (An upbeat, "well-crafted pop song."  Apologies for the cliche, guys...)
"a lulling" (Nice little ballad.)
"the pace yrself" (This is a really good song... one of the best I've heard from a local band in awhile.)
"a rectangle song" (Good song, I enjoyed the rest of the tracks on here...)
"grow old"
"common knowledge"
"mary anette"
"albatross" (This is actually the album opener.)
"spellows"


PSYCHIC BLOOD - Nightmare Beaches (2013 Tour EP CDR)

"burning wave" (Boring intro.)
"jagged brain" (This is what I classify as "reverb revival rock."  It's good music buried under a wall of too much reverb.  Nowhere near as annoying as Fleet Foxes, but it's still enough to bug me.  I've seen them live and they were great, but this was kinda disappointing.  The other tracks are better, but I wasn't in the mood to listen to the whole EP today.)


KING KRULE - 6 Feet Beneath the Moon

"easy easy" (Didn't really grab my attention, but I wasn't in the mood for it.)


LA SERA - Sees the Light

"how far we've come now" (Great pop song!)
"i can't keep you in my mind" (AWESOME!  Very catchy...)
"please be my third eye" (Good track!)


MEGADETH - United Abominations

"never walk alone...a call to arms" (One of Megadeth's "softer" songs.  I think it's about God?  Great guitar work, duh...)


SOFT OPENING - Soft Opening

"1" (Slow-but-driving psychedelic rock.  Tasteful reverb on the vocals, some yelling towards the end.  Goes back-and-forth between tension-building and swirling guitars.)
"2"
"3"
"4"
"5" (A longer and somewhat droney psychedelic track with enough interesting stuff going on to maintain my attention.)
"6" (Same as above, but my short attention span got the best of me toward the last :30 or so.)


VARIOUS - Magic Bullet Records Free Digital Sampler Volume One  

**Note: This was not played in order.**

BOYSETSFIRE - "bled dry" (This is a more "chug-chug" hardcore track, which really threw me off, considering who it's from!!!  It's okay, but I didn't really get into it.)
INTEGRITY - "lucifer before the day doth go" (Awesome - I love the solos!!!!!!)
HIGHNESS - "crepuscular rays" - (This is really good...)
MUTOID MAN (memb. of CONVERGE) - "gnarcissist" (BEST TRACK ON HERE BY FAR!!!!!!  HEAVY ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!!!)
IRON REAGAN - "cycle of violence" (Good - reminds me of early-90's "old school" or "youth crew" hardcore.)
CORN ON MACABRE - "you're okay, i'm undead" (I liked this a lot!)
PERSEKUTOR - "power frost" (Sounds like a Bridge 9 band attempting to play black metal - it's too polished and doesn't come off well to me...)
ROT IN HELL - "parthenogenesis (clip)" (Tight, but boring intro!)
WORMWOOD - "hollow black eyes" (One of the best tracks!!!)
HEADLESS DOGS - "whites"
THE INFAMOUS GEHENNA - "crush opposition" (I'm not into metalcore anymore.  This was well-done, but I just wasn't into it.)
KILL LIFE w/DWID - "snake kills whole family" (I dig Dwid's vocals and the overall vibe.  It's good, but didn't blow me away.)
I AM HERESY - "seven wolves and the daughters of the apocalypse"
CHRISTIE FRONT DRIVE - "turn" (I miss this sorta stuff.  Emo-pop from a band you might remember.)
IDES OF GEMINI - "darkness at noon" (BORING)
CHARLIE AND BRENT - "07/18/11" (Charles Manson and MBR owner Brent Eyestone having a conversation.  It's hilarious and not in a creepy way.)
THIS WILL DESTROY YOU - "a three legged workhorse (live)" (One of the best instrumental bands today.  They've been featured on the soundtracks of movies and their music has been used by a number of Christian ministries in violation of copyright.  They're considered "post-rock", but I think that term does them a disservice.  There's a lot more to their sound than crescendos and "pretty parts" that follow some sort of formula and fit into an easily-labelled "sound".  It's just really good intrumental music that makes sense in a movie soundtrack, but anyone could enjoy.)

2 comments:

  1. Fuck yeah'Beard. How did you know I was mowing my lawn today? I like your commentary and openess with each track. You might not have a lawn but you shoykd do this regularly BTW. I will have a list up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I liked your new list, btw. Sometimes is a great band - Gabe can really write. They're definitely one of the most under-appreciated bands in the city. Hopefully someday that will change.

    No idea how I knew you were mowing. Maybe it came to me because it was 91 degrees out. Or it was just one of those things where I was on the same (low) wave... ;)

    ReplyDelete